Re: Do we loose anything? (discussion on ISSUE-131)

Bijan Parsia wrote:
> As I understand it, there's two aspects to the proposal:
>     1) Make OWL-R syntactically distinguishable from OWL Full (that is,
> rule out some graphs)
>     2) Bring OWL-R Full and OWL-R DL together (or as close as is feasible.
>
> The first is criticial, the second is helpful (i.e., 1 fragment is
> easier than 2). Everything I see in your list is related to 2).
> Personally, if we have an OWL-R Full that is a bit more than OWL-R DL
> (with respect to builtin vocab, punning, etc.) that would be ok by me
> (assuming there are no other problems).

Yes, this distinction is indeed helpful. And yes, my entries fall
probably under #2.

[snip]

>> 1. Punning
>>
>> From an OWL-R-Full point of view, punning is of course not an issue.
>> However, the current state of OWL2 is that object/data propery punning
>> in DL is _not_ allowed. Doesn't that mean that, if we go along your
>> proposal, it would be disallowed in OWL-R (if one wants to bind to the
>> official profile) to use the same symbol for data property _and_
>> object property? This may be considered as a major restriction for
>> OWL-R-Full users.
>
> One point I'd like to raise here. I see you saying that such punning is
> a major feature (since not having it is a major restriction). I recall
> right after we removed object/data punning Michael gave a little example
> of owl-r that relied heavily on it to showcase a nice feature...

I do not remember this; it may have been at the f2f where this was
discussed (and I wasn't there).

> ...given all this, shouldn't we consider adding back to OWL 2DL? I mean,
> we technically know how to do it...there's just some extra vocabulary
> (roughly).

I think the 'just some' was 'quite some':-) But I cannot really comment
on the DL difficulties.

Maybe this is one of the places where "(or as close as is feasible)"
comes in:-)

[snip]

>> SELECT ?x WHERE { ?x a owl:TransitiveProperty }
>>
>> will _not_ return rdfs:subClassOf, although, well, rdfs:subClassOf
>> walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...
>
> Just to pick a bit on this example...would you really want this in your
> answer? I mean, rdfs:subClassOf is a *builtin* "transitiveproperty". So
> including it in your answer set just adds noise. Indeed, SPARQL engines
> could build in that knowledge themselves.

As I said: I was not sure. But if the decision is not to, it has to be
clearly said and specified. Some RDF users might be surprised.

>> It is not entirely clear in my mind what an RDF user would expect in
>> this case, and we may very well decide that this is not a major issue.
>> But we should be clear in our mind that, well, this question may come up!
> [snip]
>
> It's worth considering. There's similar user issues about, e.g.,
> including owl:Thing or owl:Nothing in "ancestor/descendant" queries. In
> general, trivial theorems are a funny thing to deal with. Sometimes,
> some people want them excluded as noise; other times, other people want
> them for sanity checking and avoiding special casing. I don't think
> there is an ideal answer. I tend toward a bit of minimalism.
>
> By and large, an OWL-R Full with property punning and syntax reflection
> would be, afaict, ok with me as long as the way its done actually has an
> appropriate effect on entailment. The thing about the current OWL-R Full
> that's unpalatable to me is that there's this silently ignoring of parts
> of the graph. When the relationship is simple (simple entailment to rdf
> entailment), it's not such a big deal. When the relationship is complex
> (i.e., you aren't just ignoring triples, but triples *in certain
> patterns*) I think it's a horrorshow.

You mean things like existentials in the consequents? I just want to be
sure what you mean...

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/