Re: ISSUE-111 Proposal to Resolve

RPI would be willing to abstain from a resolution such as Bijan
proposes below, i.e.
  1 - the issue is closed with no change to the langauge
  2 - the OWL Full document does not mention sameAs^3
  3 - the primer contains language such as Bijan suggests (i.e. the
sameAs^3 can be there)
Our main objection is to this being in the primary language definition
for OWL Full where, we believe, it would be seen as a piece of
improper language design rather than as advice to specific users.
  -JH

On Aug 19, 2008, at 12:45 PM, Bijan Parsia wrote:

> On 19 Aug 2008, at 17:25, Jim Hendler wrote:
>
>> Ian, I apologize, I didn't mean to imply anything was wrong
>>
>> I think by now you have seen my email with two possible ways
>> forward -a specific "tag" or,my preference, a decision not to
>> include any such wording.
>>
>> Bijan, I don't agree it is just editorial since this whole
>> discussion came up in response to an issue and we need to resolve
>> to close that issue as a wg.
>
> Oh. I thought there were two different things:
>
> RESOLVED: Close with no change to the language (i.e., no additional
> mechanism).
>
> Editorial: Add some advice about how to make your ontologies OWL
> Full if they are syntactically OWL DL without distorting the modeling.
>
> It seems like you agree with this resolution but would prefer not to
> have the advice. I think the advice is harmless at worst.
>
> I see Ian's phrasing puts the two together in his original email,
> but I didn't think it was meant to conceptually conflate them.
>
> I imagine some text like the following:
>
> "For the most part, when an OWL Ontology is syntactically in OWL DL,
> you get the same entailments under the OWL Full or OWL DL semantics,
> as long as the entailments themselves are syntactically in OWL DL.
> There are a few corner cases where this is not the case, for
> example, owl:Thing subClassOf oneOf{a} entails owl:Thing subClassOf
> owl:Nothing in OWL Full but not in OWL DL. One can force syntactic
> OWL Fullness on such ontologies by adding a syntactically OWL Full
> statement that is entailed by the empty ontology (thus doesn't
> otherwise change the modeling), for example, sameAs sameAs sameAs."
>
> I'd be happy to put something like this in the primer. I need to
> explain the alignment anyway.
>
> Cheers,
> Bijan.

it?." - Albert Einstein