Re: ACTION-178: What is ISSUE-116 (Axiomatic Triples for OWL R) about?

Ian Horrocks wrote:
> Michael (and Ivan),
>
> I don't have any problem with axiomatic triples in principle. However,
> while they may be (relatively) harmless in principle, I worry that they
> could be extremely damaging from an implementation perspective.
>
> Presumably, making axiomatic triples be part of OWL RL (Full) would mean
> extending the rule set so that it would generate such triples. There
> could be a very large (perhaps even infinite) number of such triples.
> This might be a serious burden on implementations and lead to a
> significant degradation in performance.
>
> I CCed Zhe on this in the hope that we can get a view on this from an
> OWL R implementer.

Although not Zhe:-) but I did implement RDFS a while ago using Herman
ter Horst's approach. What it does is for a specific graph was to look
at the rdf:_i properties, looks at the maximum 'i', and use the axioms
(eg, rdf:_1 rdf:type rdfs:ContainerMembershipProperty) for that interval
only. That takes care of the infinite issue for each specific graph.

Yes, performance might be an issue, Zhe is better positioned to answer that.

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/