Re: Proposal to close ISSUE-82: UML diagrams

On 16 Apr 2008, at 20:00, Conrad Bock wrote:

> Alan,
>
>>  Speaking as someone who is not UML savvy, I can say that they also
>>  create confusion if you don't use UML. Frankly, unless there is
>>  compelling evidence that these are useful to segment of our users, I
>>  would consider dropping them altogether.
>
> That would be a separate issue.  Since UML is so widely understood in
> the software community, and appears even in the ISO Common Logic spec,
> I'd say the compelling evidence should be needed for dropping them,
> not
> for keeping them.

Given that we have the power to let readers hide them if they don't
like them, it seems that the barrier to dropping them altogether is
even higher.

I say this as someone who always gets a squicky feeling when UML
crosses my ken...

To put it another way, I don't believe we can get consensus to drop
them and we can pretty easily keep them from annoying people who
loathe them.

How exactly to make them satisfactory to all who like them (in
principle) is outside my scope :) Providing alternatives would be a
good start, in my book.