Re: Profiles intro

On 9 Apr 2008, at 17:02, Alan Wu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> First, I think it is a very good idea to add such a note in the
> document.
>
> Second, I find it very hard to understand the current guidance as
> written. I am not sure how many people in this WG
> can tell the difference among profiles after just reading the
> guidance in the Profiles intro. If we cannot come up with
> a clear guidance

I think the guidance is useful to many people, esp. implementors.

> at this moment, why don't we simply leave it out?  That note itself
> should suffice.

It's better to have *something* rather than nothing since that tends
to provoke more useful feedback. Useful feedback is desirable and I
find that feedback is generally not as useful as when it has a
concrete object.

I only raised the point because we already *had* that feedback in
hand and it saves a lot of time and potential flameups if we make it
clear that we haven't forgotten that feedback.

The best kind of feedback is proposed text and that doesn't happen if
people don't have something to push back against.