Re: Profiles intro

Carsten Lutz wrote:

> I have added three slogans to the intro, trying to be careful about
> not being controversial. Put on your flamethrowers. :)

And you should call the fire brigade:-)

More seriously:

[[[
- "The EL++ profile is for efficient reasoning about large-scale
ontologies formulated on a high level of abstraction."
]]]

To be honest, I do not understand that. I am not playing dumm; I
_really_ do not understand what you mean!

[[[
- "The DL-Lite profile is for using conventional database systems to
efficiently query large amounts of data in the presence of a very
lightweight ontology."
- "The OWL-R profile is for efficient rule-based reasoning about
lightweight ontologies and potentially large amounts of data."
]]]

The interesting thing is that, from a user point of view and based on
those two statements, there is no clear reason why choosing one over the
other! Both profiles are for lightweight ontologies and large amount of
data.... _That_ statement I do understand and like. But then... why
having _both_ DL-Lite and OWL-R?

Is there a way to differentiate between the terms 'lightweight'
ontologies? Can we say that OWL-R is 'lighter' than DL-Lite?

To be more positive:-), I guess _a_ differentiating factor is the
technology that can be used to implement those. Rule based means that I
can implement OWL-R via either some simple (Horn?) rule engine or a
simple procedural environment easily. I am not sure how one can
characterize the DL-Lite implementation engine.

Carsten, I do not try to play hard ball here. I really believe that
these questions should be answered adequately... and we would gain by
fleshing this out...

Ivan