Re: ISSUE-79 (EL++): REPORTED: EL++ Variants

The variant of EL++ included in the Tractable fragments Document is
based on the one in the 2005 IJCAI paper by Carsten and others:

http://lat.inf.tu-dresden.de/~clu/papers/archive/ijcai05.pdf

At the time of writing, however, I also included domain and range axioms
in the description of the fragment. Obviously domain  axioms are
directly expressible in EL++, as described in the paper above, but this
is not the case with range axioms. At the time of writing, I had some
informal discussions with people, including the people in Dresden and my
understanding was that range axioms, even if not directly expressible
could be easily added and handled while preserving the nice properties
of EL++.
It seems from what Carsten says that this is not the case and therefore
the variant of EL++ in the tractable fragments document  seems to be broken.

I have a question, however, concerning the  interaction between range
restrictions and role inclusion axioms. Note that the EL++ version in
the fragments document does impose some restrictions in the use of
(complex) role inclusion axioms, namely the same ones as SROIQ imposes.
My question is whether these restrictions are not sufficient.  If they
do not suffice, I agree with Carsten in that identifying a variant of
EL++ that allows for domain and range and imposes reasonable constraints
in the use of role inclusion axioms would be  a good thing to have and
that version should be the one included in the document.

I think that the issue whether this fragment which should be called
``OWL Light" is a much more controversial one. In principle I think
there should be no single ``OWL Light'', but a reasonable menu of
choices for such an OWL Light that each particular user could pick
depending on his application needs.

Bernardo