Re: foaf/OWL

On Nov 25, 2007, at 11:37 AM, Jim Hendler wrote:

> Alan,
>   Forgive me for disagreeing

With the ifdt, ok. I said I wasn't holding my breath. What about the
other stuff?

With respect to that issue, there are a couple of things. First, I
think the chatid properties need to be reworked. They need to be
extensible - there ought to be a way to add a new chat service, an id
in that service, and to be able to look up some information about how
to connect. For example, there is no standard way to add a skype id
currently.

That leaves only the foaf:mbox_sha1sum. Currently, the range is
rdfs:Literal. This seems wrong - I expect that all clients expect it
to be a string. It certainly can't be an xsd:float, which is licensed
by this range.

It seems to me that OWL-DL could handle the special case of
InverseFunctional string datatype properties by treating them as
individuals named within a reserved namespace, and considering these
properties to be in a class like "simple" properties, which
disallowed any other constructs that could result in the range of the
property becoming finite.

Essentially, DatatypeProperty(foo range(xsd:string)
InverseFunctional) creates an additional, internal hidden property

ObjectProperty(*foo range(owl:stringObject) InverseFunctional) and

Individual(bar value(foo "12345")) generates an additional fact

Individual(bar value(foo <http://owl/stringobject/12345>))

Although this doesn't solve if datatypes in general, it would, I
think, solve the problem for the 50M or so foaf files, and countless
others that want *really simple* keys.

-Alan