Re: foaf/OWL

Alan,
   Forgive me for disagreeing, but the solution is for OWL DL to
figure out how to deal with inverseFunctional datatypes, not to refit
the 50M or so FOAF files out there with "objects" that are really
datatypes and should be datatypes - this issue was the one that split
OWL DL from OWL FULL in the Owl 1.0 group, and remains unresolved.  I
know there has been work in the DL community on providing "key"
functionality, and Evren Sirin had a usable handling of it in his
thesis work, but as best I can read the OWL 1.1 specs, it doesn't
seem to have made it in.
  -JH

On Nov 23, 2007, at 8:45 PM, Alan Ruttenberg wrote:

> For foaf, foaf-a-matic(http://www.ldodds.com/foaf/foaf-a-matic)
> writes
>
> <foaf:workplaceHomepage rdf:resource="http://sciencecommons.org/"></
> foaf:workplaceHomepage>
>
> The species validator considers this OWL Full because
>
> Untyped Individual: Assuming http://sciencecommons.org/ is an
> individual
>
> Elsewhere, we have that the domain of foaf:workplaceHomepage is
> foaf:Document
>
> To get this to validate as DL(*)  I need to
>
> <foaf:workplaceHomepage><owl:Individual rdf:about="http://
> sciencecommons.org/"/></foaf:workplaceHomepage>
>
> This is an annoying bit of incompatibility with RDF. Any way to fix
> it?
>
> -Alan
>
> (*) If the foaf ontology were itself valid as OWL DL.
>
> It's not that far off...
>
> Invalid Range Restriction: foaf:myersBriggs (ObjectProperty) has
> rdfs:range rdfs:Literal (Datatype)
> (looks like a foaf bug - foafers: take note)
>
> Invalid SubProperty Axiom: rdfs:subPropertyOf is used with
> foaf:name (DatatypeProperty) and rdfs:label (AnnotationProperty)
> (seems this could be handled on the OWL side - harm from the
> subproperty going the other way, but not from Object/Datatype
> property up to Annotation...)
>
> Multiple Types: Resource foaf:icqChatID is defined both as
> DatatypeProperty and as InverseFunctionalProperty
> Multiple Types: Resource foaf:jabberID is defined both as
> DatatypeProperty and as InverseFunctionalProperty
> Multiple Types: Resource foaf:yahooChatID is defined both as
> DatatypeProperty and as InverseFunctionalProperty
> Multiple Types: Resource foaf:msnChatID is defined both as
> DatatypeProperty and as InverseFunctionalProperty
> Multiple Types: Resource foaf:aimChatID is defined both as
> DatatypeProperty and as InverseFunctionalProperty
> Multiple Types: Resource foaf:mbox_sha1sum is defined both as
> DatatypeProperty and as InverseFunctionalProperty
>
> All of these could be reasonably handled by making them objects. I
> won't hold my breath. For all but the sha1sum, it seems there is a
> reasonable analogy to mailto:
>
> -Alan
>
> ps. foafers: the link named foaf-dev@lists.foaf-project.org on
> http://xmlns.com/foaf/spec/ is to http://lists.foaf-project.org/
> mailman/listinfo rather than to the expected mailto:foaf-
> dev@lists.foaf-project.org

it?." - Albert Einstein

Tetherless World Constellation Chair
Computer Science Dept