Re: CURIEs - ISSUE-14

Jeremy Carroll wrote:

> I have satisfied myself that my colleagues do not have objection to the
> proposed resolution, and I am happy to support it.

Ooops - after further feedback, I am afraid I need to modify that.

HP will abstain on this proposal, reflecting that we have some minority
concerns ...

- there are an excess of WDs with a claimed normative defn of CURIEs
(the CURIE WD, an RDFa WD, and two XHTML 2.0 WDs)
     + a copy/paste solution would make this worse
- the prefix binding issue that is not addressed with CURIEs is
non-trivial (e.g. early versus late binding).
- tension with the SPARQL not-a-CURIE construct
- at least in the CURIE WD, the empty prefix is prebound to a specific
namespace.
- if we are going to use CURIEs in XML documents (such as the XML
serialization of the functional syntax), then
     + we should be asking the XML Schema WG to extend the primitive
base types of XML Schema 1.1 (Datatypes).
     + it is likely that XML tools, such as XSLT, will have difficulty
in getting the prefix binding correct.
- this TAG issue
   http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html#abbreviatedURIs-56

In light of these concerns I personally would advocate a fairly
conservative approach, of, at this stage:
- citing the (alegedly moribund) CURIE WD, rather than using copy/paste
- identifying in which contexts we expect users to be using CURIEs,
rather than URIs.
- letting the TAG know that we are an interested party with respect to
their issue.

A choice to use CURIEs would make it more difficult for us to advance
past last call, before the TAG have resolved this issue.

(I don't feel that I can in good faith vote for or against any
particular resolution, without making a bigger issue of this with my
colleagues than seems appropriate - so I ask the WG to accept that HP
will abstain, without making the normally expected efforts to get
unanimity).

Jeremy