From: James Tauber <jtauber@jtauber.com>
Date: Tuesday 18 June 2019 at 19:11
To: public-ontolex <public-ontolex@w3.org>
Subject: modelling reduplication (Duplifix?)

Ablaut can obviously be handled as a Simulfix but how would reduplication be modelled? e.g. Ancient Greek (and Indo-European in general) has a highlight productive CeC- from C- reduplication process. Malayo-Polynesian languages use reduplication for plural formation. [1] has many many other examples.

Sounds like we need a Duplifix.

Are there other positional categories in [2] not covered?

Incidentally, does anyone know the origin of the more obscure terms in [2]? I presume things like simulfix and duplifix come from a more descriptive tradition as I've not come across them in theoretical morphology / morphological theory discussions.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reduplication

[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Affix

James
--
James Tauber
Eldarion<https://eldarion.com/> | Scaife Viewer<https://scaife-viewer.org/> | jktauber.com (Greek Linguistics)<https://jktauber.com/> | Modelling Music<https://modelling-music.com/> | Digital Tolkien<https://digitaltolkien.com/>