Re: Translating Lemon/OntoLex (Help wanted)

Dear John,

Lupe and I were having a look at the translation of the ontolex labels
and were wondering how "flexible" we can be with labels.

We are of the opinion that labels should be as descriptive as possible
(without being definitions, of course) in order to guarantee that users
understand as quick and easy as possible the meaning of the concepts
behind.
It would be desirable that native users of a certain language are able
to deduce what is meant by a certain label without having to look up the
definition (or at least try it...). And that underestanding prevails
over conciseness of the term. And not only understanding, but also
fluency, I mean, using those words or expressions that are more natural
and fluent to the native speaker instead of sticking to the original
term in the Identifier (Not sure if it is clear what I mean...).
For example, in the case of senseRelation, instead of saying "relación
de sentidos", it would be more natural to say "relación entre sentidos".
IN the case of "translatable as", we would say "se traduce como" instead
of "traducible por", although the latter is 100% correct and would be
more faithfull to the original, so to say...

We were also wondering if we could use a verbal phrase in the
translation of an objectProperty or dataTypeProperties.
For example: writtenRep -> "tiene representación escrita", instead of
"representación escrita", so that the directionality of the relation is
clear and is not to be confused with "es representación escrita de"...

In fact, I am not sure we are consistent in the names we have given to
Identifiers, since in some case we use "isConceptOf" (for inversed
relations?), whereas for the direct relations we just use the name/term
in the identifier but not the verb. The question would be, why not using
the verb and preposition, if needed, in the labels for properties? It
would make labels more consistent.

As for capitalization, you have use capital leters for all labels in
English. We think that it may be better to use the conventions of each
language. In the case of German, capital letters for nouns vs. lower
case for verbs. In Spanish lower case for nouns and verbs, etc.

It's all for now. More thoughts to come.
Best,
Elena.