Re: telco tomorrow, 15:00 CET

Dear Guido, I do not know how your requests have been dealt with during the telecon, but in all cases that's my comments:

On Jul 12, 2013, at 9:32:19 PM , Guido Vetere <gvetere@it.ibm.com> wrote:

> Philipp et all,
>
> here you find a few remarks about the current model, for the telco discussion this afternoon
>
> 1. Formal references to external models (e.g. inclusion) should be replaced by annotations \ comments
> 2. LexicalEntry should be abstract entities (type), i.e. lexicographic accounts of lexemes. As such, they should't be confused with concrete linguistic occurrences (tokens). Note that the derivation (which should be removed anyway) from Expression seems to be problematic under this respect.

A lexical entry is an expression similarly to textual occurrences, since symbols are symbols, even if they can have different roles. Indeed, a lexical entry can be used in different roles, but I do not find it useful to characterize LexicalEntry in OntoLex as a role.

> 3. LexicalSense (or Sense for short) are part of LexicalEntries, and can be related by lexical relations (e.g. synonymy) the one another. There's no need of linking LexicalConcepts (as collections of 'strict synonym' LexicalSenses, possibly singleton) directly to LexicalEntries. Anyway, it is questionable whether we need such a distinction, as well as a common superclass (Meaning) between the two classes. Maybe we could drop LexicalConcepts and Meaning, and link ontologies directly to LexicalSenses.

Ah now I get you Guido. Your conceptualization is oriented to the description of the data structure of dictionaries and lexica, rather than to the description of the ontology-lexicon domain. You want to talk about *dictionary* entries as data structures, while in OntoLex (at least in my interpretation) lexical entries are the actual expressions that may take part in dictionary entries (together with senses, glosses, examples, etc.).

> 4. LexicalConcepts (or LexicalSenses if we drop them) 'reference' ontological concepts (I would say that they 'commit to' them). If we want to account for this neatly, we need to link Concepts (Senses) to a 'metaclass', i.e. the class of all ontology classes (e.g. owl:Class if we are in OWLand).

I do not understand this. Each sense should be connected to one class? Not necessarily, but when applicable, it's already possible with OntoLex. The Sense class should be "linked" to owl:Class? Why, how?

Ciao
Aldo