Re: telco tomorrow, 15:00 CET

Ciao Aldo, please find my comments below.

Aldo Gangemi <aldo.gangemi@cnr.it> wrote on 14/07/2013 00:34:38:

> Ah now I get you Guido. Your conceptualization is oriented to the
> description of the data structure of dictionaries and lexica, rather
> than to the description of the ontology-lexicon domain. You want to
> talk about *dictionary* entries as data structures, while in OntoLex
> (at least in my interpretation) lexical entries are the actual
> expressions that may take part in dictionary entries (together with
> senses, glosses, examples, etc.).

Good to know that my friends understand me :-) Actually, this is a very
basic decision we have to take: what LexicalEntry is meant to be? From one
of our latest calls, I got the impression that this concept should not be
used for characterising 'tokens' (e.g. lexical occurrences into texts),
but rather 'types' (e.g. lexemes) into lexical resources, such as
dictionaries. To me, there's a striking difference, since you can
predicate very different properties on the two kind of entities. For
instance, lexical occurrences (token) are usually grammatically
determined, while lexical entries in a dictionary (type) may leave many
grammatical attributes open (including the 'word class', in some case).

> 4. LexicalConcepts (or LexicalSenses if we drop them) 'reference'
> ontological concepts (I would say that they 'commit to' them). If we
> want to account for this neatly, we need to link Concepts (Senses)
> to a 'metaclass', i.e. the class of all ontology classes (e.g.
> owl:Class if we are in OWLand).
>
> I do not understand this. Each sense should be connected to one
> class? Not necessarily, but when applicable, it's already possible
> with OntoLex. The Sense class should be "linked" to owl:Class? Why, how?

Not at all, I think that in ordinary speech there are many lexical senses
that do not commit to anything :-)

Anyway, this is a very technical question. In the current model, the
ObjectProperty 'reference' ranges to 'Reference' (by inheritance from
'isConceptualizationOf'). Should we opt for breaking formal links to other
ontologies (semiotics.owl in this case), as I warmly recommend, how we
could characterise the range of this very basic property?

Kind regards,

Guido Vetere
Manager, Center for Advanced Studies IBM Italia
Rome                                     Trento
Via Sciangai 53                       Via Sommarive 18
00144 Roma, Italy                   38123 Povo in Trento
+39 (0)6 59662137

Mobile: +39 3357454658
IBM Italia S.p.A.
Sede Legale: Circonvallazione Idroscalo - 20090 Segrate (MI)
Cap. Soc. euro 347.256.998,80
C. F. e Reg. Imprese MI 01442240030 - Partita IVA 10914660153
Societą con unico azionista
Societą soggetta all?attivitą di direzione e coordinamento di
International Business Machines Corporation

(Salvo che sia diversamente indicato sopra / Unless stated otherwise
above)