RE: ODRL Semantics

Hi Joshua!

FWIW, the lifecycle you described reminds me of a paper @sabrina.kirrane@wu.ac.at<mailto:sabrina.kirrane@wu.ac.at> and I wrote many years ago:

Steyskal, S., & Kirrane, S. (2015). If you can't enforce it, contract it: Enforceability in Policy-Driven(Linked) Data Markets.
In Agata Filipowska, Ruben Verborgh, Axel Polleres (Ed.), Proceedings of the Posters and Demos Track of the 11th International Conference on Semantic Systems (pp. 63 - 66).
CEUR Workshop Proceedings. http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-1481/paper21.pdf

[cid:image002.png@01DAA2B3.264D0B40]
With:

ODRL Offer Policies contain rules that propose terms of
usage to data consumers. The policy defined in Listing 3
offers ex:consumer1 read access to ex:dataset1 if they agree
to a contract that prohibits them from aggregating the data.

Listing 3: Offer a contract for ex:dataset1
ex:offer a odrl:Offer ;
odrl:prohibition [
a odrl:Prohibition ;
odrl:assigner ex:provider1 ;
odrl:assignee ex:consumer1 ;
odrl:target ex:dataset1 ;
odrl:action odrl:aggregate
] .

ODRL Agreement Policies represent contracts between
data producers and consumers that stipulate all terms of us-
age. The policy defined in Listing 4 states that ex:consumer1
has agreed to a contract that prohibits them from aggregat-
ing the data from ex:dataset1.

Listing 4: Construct an agreement for ex:dataset1
ex:agreement a odrl:Agreement ;
odrl:prohibition [
a odrl:Prohibition ;
odrl:assigner ex:provider1 ;
odrl:assignee ex:consumer1 ;
odrl:target ex:dataset1 ;
odrl:action odrl:aggregrate
] ;
odrl:permission [
a odrl:Permission ;
odrl:assigner ex:provider1 ;
odrl:assignee ex:consumer1 ;
odrl:target ex:dataset1 ;
odrl:action odrl:read
] .

@ your question
> what is the correct lifecycle (especially in the ‘loop’ which I’ve named ‘RecombineEvent’ back from an Agreement to future Set).

ODRL doesn’t really requires you to _follow_ a specific lifecycle. The only thing it does require wrt. the use of odrl:Offer and odrl:Agreement is that the former must contain an odrl:assigner for each of its rules and the latter must have both odrl:assigner as well as odrl:assignee.

1.      An ODRL Policy of subclass Offer:<https://www.w3.org/TR/odrl-model/#policy-offer>

  *   MUST have one assigner property value (of type Party) to indicate the functional role in the same Rules.
2.      An ODRL Policy of subclass Agreement:<https://www.w3.org/TR/odrl-model/#policy-agreement>

  *   MUST have one assigner property value (of type Party) to indicate the functional role in the same Rules.
  *   MUST have one assignee property value (of type Party) to indicate the functional role in the same Rules.

Hth, simon