Re: Next last call publication & question on todays meeting

Am 16.05.13 15:16, schrieb Dr. David Filip:
> [...]
>

> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Felix Sasaki <fsasaki@w3.org
> <mailto:fsasaki@w3.org>> wrote:
>
>     Am 16.05.13 11:56, schrieb Dr. David Filip:
>>     On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 10:11 AM, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz
>>     <mailto:jirka@kosek.cz>> wrote:
>>
>>         On 16.5.2013 10:59, Dr. David Filip wrote:
>>
>>         > It should aslo say
>>         > that the extensions MUST not provide features provided by
>>         the ITS core
>>         > elements attributes. I understand that we can hardly build
>>         test cases for
>>         > this MUST, but it is important to stress.
>>
>>         There is no reason for specifying this. ITS is used in host
>>         languages
>>         and they are already providing their own means for some data
>>         categories
>>         (usually lang, dir, translate).
>>
>>     Of course they do, so you need global rules for an ITS processor
>>     to recognize them as such.
>>     Enforcing is not just about testing. If someone introduces a
>>     global rule using an extended element, it is against the spirit
>>     of the standard to let this overlap with any ITS feature. If you
>>     do not use normative language to say so in the spec, you have
>>     later on no base for saying that such use of extensibility is not
>>     conformant...
>>

>>         Anyway you can enforce such rule in practice so it doesn't
>>         make sense to
>>         introduce it.
>>
>>         >> ITS is kind enough to allow other namespaces, the ITS
>>         processors can
>>         >> simply ignore them, and that’s the end of the story.
>>         >>
>>         > In order to make the schema changes, the spec must
>>         unequivocally say where
>>         > those extended elements and attributes are allowed. It is
>>         anarchy and not a
>>         > standard otherwise.
>>
>>         This is now described in RELAX NG schema -- its20.rnc.
>>         Basically foreign
>>         elements can be used only inside its:rules. Foreign
>>         attributes can be
>>         used on any element defined in ITS.
>>
>>     I agree with the solution materially, all I say is that this must
>>     also occur in prose descriptions of the elements.
>
>     Thank you for stating your agreement, David. To make sure I
>     understand and for the record: you agree with the schema change
>     Jirka made, see also
>     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-multilingualweb-lt-commits/2013May/0044.html
>     [foreign
>
>     elements can be used only inside its:rules. Foreign attributes can be
>     used on any element defined in ITS.]
>
>     ?
>
> Again, I do agree with the change materially and the schema change is
> OK with me
>

>     Wrt to the spec change: having the text in prose description for
>     all elements doesn't sound feasible.
>
> If we do not list it for every element than appendix D and schema will
> be in conflict with the rest of the prose specification.

Well, we can also put it on the beginning of
http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#datacategory-description
and say "This statement relates to all elements defined in this
specification". In that way it "inherits" to all definitions. Is there a
problem with this?

> *The element descriptions are ENUMERATIVE in the main body of the
> spec. Therefore the spec is currently in conflict with the schema!*
> I put the example and into reply to Yves..
>
>     How about adding what you agreed to
>     "Foreign elements can be used only inside its:rules. Foreign
>     attributes can be
>
>     used on any element defined in ITS."

>     http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#its-schemas
>
>     ?
>
> As I said in response to Yves, it is good to have the blanket
> statement in appendix D.
> Can zou confirm that Appendix D is nornmative?
> Shouldn't it be introduced with the italics text.
> /This section is normative/

I did, see
http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html

How about ending this thread and just continuing the action-527 thread,
to keep things together?