Re: [ACTION-527]: Propose spec change to address extensibility in general

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 1:01 PM, Yves Savourel <ysavourel@enlaso.com> wrote:

> Hi David, all,
>
> > [[
> > 2-5: Non-ITS elements or attributes found in a rules element MAY be
> ignored.
> > ]]
> > Besides we allowed foreign attributes in all elements, so this
> > should say that non-ITS elements or attributes in all ITS elements MAY
> be ignored.
>
> Actually the schema change allows foreign elements only in its:rules.
> But in any case, for this statement, there is no reason to mention where
> the non-ITS elements/attributes can be found: It's just about what to do
> with them. So we should use a blanket statement:
>
> [[
> 2-5: Non-ITS elements and attributes MAY be ignored.
> ]]
>
> or
>
> [[
> 2-5: Non-ITS elements and attributes found in ITS elements MAY be ignored.
> ]]
>
> I like this one

> And the locations where non-ITS elements/attributes are allowed can be
> described in
> http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#its-schemasas Felix proposed.
>
> [[
> Foreign elements can be used only inside rules.
> Foreign attributes can be used on any element defined in ITS.
> ]]
>
> It is good to have this text in appendix D but not sufficient IMHO

I understand that making a general blanket statements on one place is
convenient when writing, but is not consumption friendly.
The elements are specified throughout all categories and people who read
only on the categories they are interested in, are likely to miss the
extensibility.

An important question
Is appendix D normative? I am not sure (it is not marked non-normative but
it also does not explicitly say that it is normative, as we do elsewhere in
the spec like this:
*This section is normative.*

On the assumption that the appendix D is normative (perhaps we should add *This
section is normative.*), I am happy to keep the requirement for specifying
extensibility on every element for the second last call, because then it
will be indeed editorial only. provided we have the NORMATIVE appendix D
blanket statement.

This is an example to make sure that we are on the same page:

[This is the current text]

GLOBAL: The termRule element contains the following:

   -

   A required selector attribute. It contains an absolute
selector<http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#selectors>
which
   selects the nodes to which this rule applies.
   -

   A required term attribute with the value "yes" or "no".
   -

   None or exactly one of the following:
   -

      A termInfoPointer attribute that contains a relative
selector<http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#selectors>
pointing
      to a node that holds the terminology information.
      -

      A termInfoRef attribute that contains an IRI referring to the
      resource providing information about the term.
      -

      A termInfoRefPointer attribute that contains a relative
selector<http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#selectors>
pointing
      to a node that holds the IRI referring to the location of the terminology
      information.

[This is the addition I require]

   - None, one or more attributes from any namespace.

Section 5.2.1 should also contain the provision for elements and attributes
from any namespace within <its:rules>