Re: Sections for HTML local implementation?

comments inline;

On 10/10/2012 09:47, Felix Sasaki wrote:
> Hi Shaun, all,
>
> I agree that having the table in an appendix wouldn't make sense.
> Also, there is a huge overlap between the table in sec. 6.1 and your
> table. And finally, Jirka is addressing the "how to work with HTML5"
> in a separate section too.
>
> I have a pragmatic suggestion: next week many usual suspects will be
> away, at localization world. But a useful topic to discuss might be
> how to integrate above pieces and what to do about the implementation
> sections. Do you want to continue this on the list this week and work
> on it during next week's call?
>
> I am confident that you, Jirka and others who might be able to join
> would develop a good approach to move forward. That doesn't mean that
> you have to do everything: a good strategy is always to give action
> items to people who are not at the meeting ;)

Hey, we do read the list you know :-)

Clearly, currently the spec comes across as an XML one with HTML tacked
on. This is partially a hang-over form using the ITS1.0 format. However,
this mainly appears in;
1) the data attributes definitions are presented in the same camelcase
for as the XML binding
2) we don't have sufficient HTML examples in some data categories

2 i think we are looking at already. 1 is really easy to fix by changing
the names used in the data attribute definitions to a form that is
agnostic to the XML (or the HTML) form, for example change;

"GLOBAL: ThelocNoteRule
<http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#locNoteRule>element
contains the following:

  *

    A requiredselector
    <http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#att.selector.attribute.selector>attribute.
    It contains anabsolute selector
    <http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#selectors>which
    selects the nodes to which this rule applies.

  *

    A requiredlocNoteType
    <http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#locNoteRule.attributes>attribute
    with the value "description" or "alert".

  *

    Exactly one of the following:

        AlocNote
        <http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#locNote>element
        that contains the note itself and allows forlocal ITS markup
        <http://www.w3.org/International/multilingualweb/lt/drafts/its20/its20.html#selection-local>."

    to:

[...]

or perhaps capitalise the attribute names, so e.g. locNoteType goes to
LOC NOTE TYPE.

Then use Shaun table in the main body of the text to make the XML and
HTML mappings clear with equal partity.

Would that work? We'd still need to look at the section 1-5 to make sure
that it doesn't favour XML over HTML, e.g. we have section 1.4 calling
out usage in HTML5 while the usage in XML is more implicit, also the
examples in this earlier section are still largely XML rather than HTML.

cheers,
Dave