Re: Practical question: elements or attributes?

Guys,
For these multi-attribute data categories some other alternatives to new
elements are:

1) for data categories likely to apply largely to the whole document,
e.g. the process flow definitions, it may be possible to include a
dedicated element in the global ITS rules part of the document header,
with a rule binding it to the relevant document elements, and then a
simpler local attribute indicating exceptions where the rule bound
element does not apply

2) record the composite data categories in an external data structure,
e.g. as a CMS database attribute associated with the document. This
would be relevant for QA or other provenance data which may need to be
linked to the target document after it is published, e.g. for selecting
parallel text for MT training, but without incurring the overhead of
being stored in the document. The document itself would just need an
attribute providing an index to thei data structure, e.g. a DB key or,
for linked data, a URL

3) a variation of 2, where we want to further minimise the impact of the
binding to external data categories on the published document, is for
the external data to retain a link to the document (rather than the
other way around as in 2). This external index could be to existing
fragment identifiers in the document (perhaps addressed via the id value
requirement) or using some fragment URL scheme, e.g. the NIF URL
recipies at http://nlp2rdf.org/nif-1-0

It seems that different schemes may be appropriate to different data
categories, or may even be more attractive in different business
settings for the same data category. My feeling is we need further input
from the downstream (i.e. after translation) CMS side of things to help
guide this.

cheers,
Dave