Re: Should we drop the color bullet for now?

On Apr 27, 2017 9:58 PM, "Wayne Dick" <wayneedick@gmail.com> wrote:

Actually color can be chosen for testing for developers easily. Also, we
can make a tool available for users to choose acceptable colors. The issue
that users may choose colors frivolously is  silly.

Then we haven't made our wording of the SC tight enough. I think this is
what we are trying to do... find the right language to state in a testable
way what authors should or should not do to the color needs of lowvision
people.

There are semantic difficulties: Use of color to visually hide content, use
of image color to support visibility. Use of background images to cash
images. Use of background images to create visible text just violates use
of color for meaning. Content can be visuŐally hidden with size. Images can
be cashed with CSS "content".

These are great and useful.

This process is unfair. People with print disabilities are expected to
engage in extensive discussions in print without accommodation.  You cannot
participate reading only 1/10 of the critical information.

Ok. You and others on the group have expressed several time to AG the
difficulties. Would it help if I sent you a copy of each response to each
email and issue as an individual email. Or, perhaps you and i  an come up
with some other solution. Unfortunately, We will not be able to change the
tools. I will work with you to find a way to get you the information in a
meaningful way.

I didn't even dream someone would propose dropping font permanently. I need
my distinguishable fonts.

I know you need the ability to change fonts, as do many, many others. In
the meeting today, we discussed that many in the AG had issues with authors
having to have sites that worked regardless of the font chosen by the user.
Laura and the group have worked for many weeks trying to resolve that
issue. As we discussed, font families change the width of content boxes. As
does letter spacing. We thought that given the range of options in the
current SC for changing letter and word spacing would adequately cover the
width requirements if the user also changed font family.
7We believe that font family change is still be available to the user
through the current mechanisms (css, browser extensions, and bookmarklets).
It sounds like you want an SC that explicitly calls out font family
flexibility in authoring practices.
Please propose some new wording. Laura sent you the 13 different wordings
for fonts the group has proposed. We met resistance on all as being too
broad.
You and I have been working on quantifying font family widths. That may be
a way of helping scope the font family language to be acceptable to the AG
at large.

If is have to give up color on the web that is a disaster for me.

Yes. It would be a disaster for many many people.  The LVTF is not giving
up on color. We are regrouping and trying to find a better approach to make
sure the things you mentioned above are called out so authors have better
success criteria fo follow regarding color.

I did not see those threads.

Lets figure out a way to provide you access to the information.

Wayne