New Proposed Wording for Issue #10 User Interface Component Contrast (Minimum)

From: Glenda Sims <glenda.sims@deque.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2017 18:02:10 -0500
To: public-low-vision-a11y-tf <public-low-vision-a11y-tf@w3.org>
Oh awesome and wonderful LVTF,

I had a great "conversation" with David MacDonald and Jared Smith about
making the proposed SC User Interface Component Contrast (Minimum) a bit
easier to understand.

I've made changes based on their suggestions this afternoon.  You can check
out the new wording at https://github.com/w3c/wcag21/issues/10 (or just
read below).

SC Shortname

User Interface Component Contrast (Minimum)
SC Text

All essential visual identifiers of user interface components have a
contrast ratio of at least 4.5:1, except for the following situations:

   1. Thicker: A contrast ratio of at least 3:1 is required where the
      minimum width and height are at least 3 CSS pixels, for the essential
      visual identifier.
      2. Inactive: Disabled or otherwise inactive user interface components
      are exempt from this requirement.

*Note about essential visual identifiers of user interface components:* A
visual indication that the component is interactive. This may be a border,
edge, icon, or other visual indication (which doesn't rely on color alone).
Focus and selection indicators represent separate states of the interface
component which also must meet this requirement.

Yes, yes, I know the "note" will need to become a definition in the
glossary, but trust me, to understand this proposed SC...you need to see
that note as you are reading the SC.  I promise to move it to the glossary
later...after we settle on proposed SC language that everyone can live with.

Peace out,

Goodwitch

glenda sims    |   team a11y lead   |    deque.com    |    512.963.3773

*web for everyone. web on everything.* -  w3 goals