Re: Formats and icing (Was Re: [ESWC 2015] First Call for Paper)

On 10/1/14 5:36 PM, Luca Matteis wrote:
> I guess PDF is sort of the "compiled" version while we're talking
> about the source of the document (HTML).

No, there is structured data locked (inaccessible) from the PDF. In
HTML+(RDF based Structured Data Island Notation) you have loose coupling
of presentation and fine-grained structured data, increasingly in Linked
Open Data form.

> You can convert both Latex
> and HTML to PDF.

But you do that using platform specific tools, in either direction. We
don't want that kind of specificity circa., 2104.

>   So I guess perhaps what I'm saying is that Latex is a
> better tool than HTML for writing publications simply because it was
> built for that.

It might be, but that's really besides the point. Our big issue here is
unshacking data i.e., data de-silo-fication. Sadly, we have conferences
that are aligned closely with Linked Open Data that, right at the
front-door, completely contradict its fundamental essence and value
proposition.

> So forget PDF. Perhaps we can add markup to Latex documents and make
> them linked data friendly?

Only if the end product is as open and loosely coupled as HTML+(RDF
based Structured Data Islands) .

>   That would be cool. A Latex RDF
> serialization :)

If that was accessible and usable over HTTP network, without any
platform specific tools.

Kingsley