Re: Formats and icing (Was Re: [ESWC 2015] First Call for Paper)

On 01/10/2014 21:55, Luca Matteis wrote:
> But why is it backwards? We have different formats serving different
> purposes. Diversity is healthy. Simply because PDF is not in the Web
> stack it doesn't make it Web-unfriendly.

In 2013, PDF was mentioned during ODW2013 [0] workshop and I quote part
of the final report [1] below regarding PDF:

"(...) PDF - often referred to as the format where data goes to die. In
the open data world, PDF has a bad name as it is not deemed machine
processable. As Adobe's Jim King pointed out in his presentation [2] ,
this is perhaps unfair. PDF can include structured tables, can carry
associated metadata, extractable text and more. It is the way that PDFs
are generated - using basic tools that don't support all the features -
that renders PDF documents opaque to machine processes."

This could be an opportunity to work closer with Adobe's folks to see
how web stack can help process data in PDF...

Best,
Ghislain

[0] http://www.w3.org/2013/04/odw/
[1] http://www.w3.org/2013/04/odw/report