Re: The Great Public Linked Data Use Case Register for Non-Technical End User Applications

On 6/24/13 2:14 AM, Michael Brunnbauer wrote:
> Hello Kingsley Idehen,
>
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 05:32:00PM -0400, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> We don't need a central repository of anything. Linked Data is supposed
>> to be about enhancing serendipitous discovery of relevant things.
> Serendipitous discovery ? I guess you are not talking about generating
> random URLs to look if they access something interesting.

No I am not.

> So probably you mean something like a SPARQL query using squin.org. It is
> quite obvious that this only works if every URI dereferences to a complete
> list of relevant links for this URI. Sounds like a central list of LOD apps.

No I am not.

>> Centralization doesn't scale, that's Web 101.
> Deactivate lod.openlinksw.com - that's web 101.

And you have another example of a live instance comprised of 51 Billion+
triples atop which you can perform faceted-style navigation of entity
relationship graphs, that's available to any human, program (many
end-user, integrator, or developer tools), or crawler? Please point me
to an example of that functionality.

Anyway, here's my point: a global registry can start from a simple
document that describes something. If the content of the document
complies with Linked Data publishing principles, it will be discovered,
with increasing degrees of serendipity.

Google already demonstrates some of this, in the most obvious sense via
its search engine, and no so obvious via its crawling of Linked Data
which then makes its way Google Knowledge Graph and G+ etc..

Kingsley

> Regards,
>
> Michael Brunnbauer

Founder & CEO