Re: The Great Public Linked Data Use Case Register for Non-Technical End User Applications

On 24 June 2013 01:09, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> wrote:

> On 23 June 2013 23:46, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>
>>  On 6/23/13 5:36 PM, Barry Norton wrote:
>>

>> Are you confusing Linked Data and Linked Open Data?
>>

>> Of course not!
>>
>> Web-like structured data enhanced with explicit entity relationship
>> semantics enables serendipitous discovery at the public or private level.
>>
>> "Open" has nothing to do with "Public" . "Open" is about standards and
>> the interoperability they accord.
>>

> What part of
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/index.php?title=SweoIG/TaskForces/CommunityProjects/LinkingOpenData&oldid=35551am I misunderstanding? The early LOD collaborations had a clear emphasis on
> open in the sense of freely available data. I can see merit in broadening
> that, but to say "has nothing to do with" seems at odds with how a lot of
> people appeared to be understanding the initiative.

Dan ... "Open" became a quite difficult brand, I think in 2008 it was word
of the year, after which, there was a lot of popularity to use the term.
In certain circles it became a parody of itself, case in point, a recent
message to me from richard stallman.

[[

I note that the site uses almost exclusively the term "open source",
which is (sad to say) the slogan of people who reject our ideals.
Another way you can help us is by saying "free", or "free/libre"
to make things clearer.

]]

Many of these terms become politically loaded.  Perahps let's try not to
fall into the trap of becoming ambushed by ambuity ...

Just my 2 cents ...