Re: Proof: Linked Data does not require RDF

On 6/19/13 3:41 PM, David Booth wrote:
> On 06/19/2013 02:29 AM, エリクソン トーレ wrote:
>> My point was that even if the data producer doesn't know anything about
>> RDF, when applying the meme he will produce something that follows
>> the RDF abstract syntax. That is the strength of RDF and why I think
>> it is an intrinsic part of Linked Data.
>
> +1
>
> The data does not have to *look* like RDF to *be* (interpretable as) RDF.

I am not disputing that.

> But to support the goal of the Semantic Web, it is important
> *specifically* that the data be interpretable as RDF.

I am not disputing that.  The Semantic Web is about RDF based Blogic.

My simple point (which I will defend vigorously) is this:

You don't need to know anything about RDF to create and publish Linked
Data in line with TimBL's original Linked Data meme.

"interpretable as RDF" is a Blogic requirement. That isn't a Linked Data
requirement.

Interpretation is about understanding. A Linked Data graph is comprised
of Triples that represent how a entities are related i.e., the Triple is
a representation of a Relationship between two entities, facilitated the
relationship predicate. The semantics of the relationship may be
*explicit* or *implicit*. These semantics may or may not be machine or
human comprehensible.

RDF makes the entity relationship semantics expressed in a triple
machine-comprehensible (at the very least). An RDF processor can
interpret RDF statements. A Linked Data processor on the other hand,
simply follows the links unveiled by content published (via public or
private web-like documents) using the principles outlined in TimBL's
original meme.

You are trying to shy away from "inference" and "reasoning" (key RDF
features) while making an "all or nothing" grab for the much more
generic concept of Linked Data.

"term or art" , "interpretable" , "ambiguity" etc.. aren't the key
points around which to mount a defense or justification for trying to
infer that RDF is the only option for Linked Data. It just doesn't
compute and It isn't defensible.

Linked Data, RDF, and the Semantic Web are three distinct things. If
they weren't three distinct things. They do not denote the same concept.
They denote three puzzle pieces that add utility to the web-like
structured data representation that can scale to the World Wide Web,
subject to choices you make about identifiers used to denote entities in
relationships represented by 3-tuple (or triples) based propositional
statements (or claims).

A URI is the basic unit of Data-de-silo-fication. That came along and
enabled a World Wide Web long before the letters "RDF" became associated
with the concept of  web-like structured data endowed with machine- and
human-comprehensible entity relationship semantics.

> As I pointed out before:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-lod/2013Jun/0208.html
> [[
> > Why does RDF need to be the standard universal information
> > model?  not because it is perfect, but because *some*
> > standard universal information model is needed, and that is
> > the one that was chosen, just as URIs were chosen to be the
> > standard universal identification convention.  [ . . . ]
> >
> > why couldn't other sufficiently powerful information models
> > achieve the same Semantic Web goal just as well, and be used
> > in addition to RDF?  Because that would fragment the web.
> > instead of one web we would have many webs, each one its
> > own walled garden, and that is not [the] Semantic Web goal.
> > without a shared information model, client applications
> > would not be able to meaningfully combine the data from
> > those walled gardens.
> ]]
>
> David

See my comments above :-)

Links:

1. http://bit.ly/16EVFVG -- Illustrating why you can have Linked Data
that complies with TimBL's original Linked Data meme without any
knowledge of RDF
2. http://slidesha.re/18CtxGK-- Blogic (what RDF adds to Linked Data
i.e., semantically enhanced web-like data that can scale to the World
Wide Web)
3. http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/#section-design-goals -- RDF design
goals circa. 2004 specs
4. http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf11-concepts/ -- RDF 1.1
5. http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-concepts/#section-design-goals -- What is an
RDF predicate? Also note the Graph definition (a set of Triples).

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web:http://www.openlinksw.com
Personal Weblog:http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen