Re: Monitoring subscribers on the list

Utterly agreed, but loads of steps just in creating a language machines
can act on, derived from human languages, just right off the bat.

To give another comparison to the planet from which I come (and I come in
peace! I swear) - publishing metadata is standardized into an XML format
called ONIX. However, the term "ONIX" has come to mean, over 12-14 years
or so, "metadata about books". So publishing houses who transmit their
metadata in Excel (yes) and ASCII still refer to the files as ONIX, even
though they are not in XML. A format has become an expression for the
information inside that format. I see striking parallels in this
discussion of RDF and Linked Data.