Re: Linked Stuff [was Re: RDF's challenge]

On 6/11/13 10:18 PM, David Booth wrote:

> Because PDF is not RDF, and Linked Data is based on RDF.  You could
> call it Linked Stuff or hyperdata or something else like that *if* it
> contains links.  But "Linked Data" has a well-established meaning in
> the community -- in spite of Kingsley's claims to the contrary -- and
> that meaning includes being based on RDF:
> http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html
Kingsley, who can speak for himself, is not claiming that you can't
produce Linked Data using RDF. I've stated categorically that RDF is
something that you use to produce Linked Data, in fact, really smart and
useful Linked Data.

I am also not claiming that most in the RDF community associate Linked
Data with RDF.

What I am claiming is the fact that people outside the community do not
need RDF and Linked Data conflated. That isn't an act of dissociation.
It's an act of decoupling and then loosely associating two distinct
things. RDF is a framework. Linked Data is the output, the result, the
consequence of a principled approach to structured data representation.

When did Data and Linked become one?

What is Data?

How does Data become Web-like?

When Data is Web-like does that imply that agent can make sense of it
i.e., that it apply any constructive inference?

What is the single most important characteristic of RDF?

Why is first-order logic so vital to RDF?

Final question, is this Linked Data, RDF, or stuff?

<> <#type> <#Document> .
<> <#mentions> <#i> .
<> <#mentions> <#LinkedData> .
<> <#mentions> <#RDF> .
<#i> <#type> <#Person> .
<#> <#name> "Kingsley Idehen.
<#i> <#email> <mailto:kidehen@openlinksw.com> .

Once again, I am not asking anyone that understands Linked Data (however
they've come to that understanding) to see it as an application of RDF,
if they've already reached a point of conceptual clarity they should be
absolutely fine and they progress towards exploitation.

All I am saying, is that when the issue of Linked Data is being
discussed with folks outside the RDF community, you don't need RDF at
the front-door. You don't need to conflate RDF and Linked Data en route
to getting them to understand and appreciate what Linked Data offers. In
a nutshell, you don't need to present them with an "all or nothing"
proposition on the basis of what you would like RDF to be etc..

Founder & CEO
OpenLink Software
Company Web: http://www.openlinksw.com
Twitter/Identi.ca handle: @kidehen