Re: Linked Stuff [was Re: RDF's challenge]

On 6/11/13 9:57 PM, David Booth wrote:
> On 06/11/2013 06:02 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
>> On 6/11/13 5:15 PM, Luca Matteis wrote:
>>> Why are we worried about all of this? "Linked Data" is clearly defined
>>> by the four principles of Tim-Berners Lee [1]. RDF is in there. So in
>>> order to be Linked Data it has to use RDF.
>>>
>>> If you don't want to use RDF, then you're not doing Linked Data.
>>> You're just doing something else and you're free to call it whatever
>>> you want.
>>>
>>> 1. http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html
>>
>> Really?  You are referring to a revision of the original meme [1]. And
>> when you digest that meme, please don't come back inferring that TimBL
>> must have been thinking about RDF when he produced outlined the four
>> points in his original GOLDEN meme.
>
> That original GOLDEN meme is archived at
> http://web.archive.org/web/20061201121454/http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html
>
> and makes very clear that TimBL *was* thinking about RDF when he wrote
> that.  As I pointed out before at
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-comments/2013Jun/0041.html
> [[
> > Uh . . . did you read that entire document?  Please do.
> > Because unless one were intentionally exercising selective
> > understanding, I do not see how anyone could honestly misread
> > it so badly as to not realize that it is specifically talking
> > about RDF and the Semantic Web, making reference to the way the
> > HTML-based web works, and showing that the same principles
> > of linking and dereferencing are needed for RDF and the
> > Semantic Web.  The very first paragraph says:
> > [[
> > The Semantic Web isn't just about putting data on the web. It
> > is about making links, so that a person or machine can explore
> > the web of data.  With linked data, when you have some of it,
> > you can find other, related, data.
> > ]]
> >
> > And the second paragraph explicitly says: "for data they [are]
> > links between arbitrary things described by RDF".  I don't
> > know how he could have said it more clearly.
> >
> > Claiming that that document in any way supports the notion
> > that Linked Data is not based on RDF would be disingenuous to
> > the point of being fraudulent.
> ]]
>
> David

And as I point out to you. Do you think TimBL needs you or I to explain
to him that he was thinking about RDF but simply failed to add RDF and
SPARQL to the original bullet list. Ah! I guess he also had R-D-F that
in mind when he sketched out the original design of the Web too [1]? He
had no idea that the labels in the diagram (e.g., "describes" ) denoted
relations. He had no idea that hyperlink-enabling those connectors would
result in a Web of Linked Data.

Are you serious?

Links:

1.