Re: U+1885 / U+1886 changed from Letter to Mark

On 16/11/2015 12:19, Andrew West wrote:
> Dear Greg,
>
> I think that you are correct that the current properties for baludas
> (1885/6) do not allow them to be correctly rendered on the right side of
> a word as shown in the examples I posted previously
> (http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Mongolian/TWYT_130.jpg).  Logically, the
> baluda is an "other letter", but the layout model for Mongolian means
> that it has to be treated as a non-spacing mark to be positioned correctly.
>
> I therefore tentatively agree that we should propose changing the
> general category of U+1885 and U+1886 from Lo (other letter) to Mn
> (non-spacing mark), with a canonical combining class of 226 (positioned
> on the right), a bidi class of NSM (non-spacing mark), and a line break
> property of CM (attached characters and combining marks).
>
> Incidentally, the corresponding Tibetan character, U+0F85 TIBETAN MARK
> PALUTA, has a general category of Po (other punctuation), which is
> surely incorrect, and something I may separately raise with the UTC.
>
> Double incidentally, there may be a need to propose encoding a single
> and triple circular paluta mark for use with Han characters.

hi Andrew,

could you point me to somewhere that describes what 1885/6 are used for
and how?  I wondered whether the right-side placement might be an
annotation, using a mechanism such as ruby, rather than a diacritic?
That's probably not correct, i just wanted to check. My problem is that
i don't really understand why or how the characters are being used.

cheers,
ri