Re: U+1885 / U+1886 changed from Letter to Mark

On 22 December 2015 at 17:20,  <ishida@w3.org> wrote:

> could you point me to somewhere that describes what 1885/6 are used for and
> how?

Unfortunately, there is very little documentation for the extensions
to the Mongolian script for transcription of Buddhist texts.  All we
have to go on are a few examples, and the analogy of how the
corresponding characters are used in Tibetan (U+0F85 Paluta) and other
Indic scripts (Devanagari U+093D Avagraha etc.).

> I wondered whether the right-side placement might be an annotation,
> using a mechanism such as ruby, rather than a diacritic? That's probably not
> correct, i just wanted to check. My problem is that i don't really
> understand why or how the characters are being used.

It seems that 1885/6 modify the sound of the syllable to which it is
attached, and so is written to the right of the syllable, and in
Unicode terms can be analysed as a diacritic.  I apologise for not
having more information, but I will try to find more examples for the
UTC document.

Andrew