Re: U+1885 / U+1886 changed from Letter to Mark

Dear Greg,

I think that you are correct that the current properties for baludas
(1885/6) do not allow them to be correctly rendered on the right side of a
word as shown in the examples I posted previously (
http://www.babelstone.co.uk/Mongolian/TWYT_130.jpg).  Logically, the baluda
is an "other letter", but the layout model for Mongolian means that it has
to be treated as a non-spacing mark to be positioned correctly.

I therefore tentatively agree that we should propose changing the general
category of U+1885 and U+1886 from Lo (other letter) to Mn (non-spacing
mark), with a canonical combining class of 226 (positioned on the right), a
bidi class of NSM (non-spacing mark), and a line break property of CM
(attached characters and combining marks).

Incidentally, the corresponding Tibetan character, U+0F85 TIBETAN MARK
PALUTA, has a general category of Po (other punctuation), which is surely
incorrect, and something I may separately raise with the UTC.

Double incidentally, there may be a need to propose encoding a single and
triple circular paluta mark for use with Han characters.

Andrew