Re: Dropping MediaController in HTML5.1?

On 04/03/2015 22:27 , Edward O'Connor wrote:
> Philippe wrote:
>>> Blink is unshipping the MediaController by default [1]. It is now back
>>> behind their " Enable experimental Web Platform features".
>
> Chris explained:
>> [Blink is putting] MediaController behind an experimental runtime flag
>> until the implementation correctly integrates with the media engine.
>
> Philippe wrote:
>>> I believe we should consider whether we want to keep for HTML 5.1.
>
> Given Chris' explanation (that they are temporarily withdrawing the
> feature until their implementation improves), I think it would be a
> mistake to remove the feature from the spec.

There are two different things here. One is the development view of the
spec, which I agree should definitely keep the feature (and any other
feature that there is potentially some interest in implementing). The
other is the spec as filtered down for the next CR (which I believe is
what PLH had in mind). That will need to have features that we don't see
making the cut culled.

We currently only publish one of these two, but assuming the release
version is just stuff removed I can very easily produce that as well. If
we *do* want to ship HTML to Rec every year, including this year, we're
going to have to start making such a cut-down version happen pretty soon.