Re: proposal: have W3C HTML5 reference dated WHATWG URL standard rather than W3C copy

[ + W3C Director ]

On 9/26/14 7:23 PM, David (Standards) Singer wrote:
> On Sep 26, 2014, at 6:02 , Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net> wrote:
>
>> On 09/26/2014 08:28 AM, Brian Kardell wrote:
>>> [Snip]
>>> Personally I would prefer if WHATWG and W3C can publish exactly same
>>> document on bothwhatwg.org <http://whatwg.org>andw3c.org
>>> <http://w3c.org>. I mean exactly same (maybe except visual style) so no
>>> additional editorial effort on W3C side will be needed. Personally I
>>> don't feel that WHATWG is currently enough stable and open body
>>> (seehttps://whatwg.org/charter) to provide long term archival place for
>>> specifications.
>>> [/snip]
>>>
>>> Hosting an exact copy of a snapshot for reference and archival purposes
>>> at w3c doesn't appear to bother anyone as far as I can tell, the concern
>>> is with unnecessary forking.  Seems sensible, does that make you feel
>>> better about it?
>> For that to work, at a minimum the W3C would need to publish such a snapshot.  The last time that was done was over two years ago.  A few links capturing the current state:
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2014/06/webapps-charter.html#url
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/url/
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2014JulSep/0492.html
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-tag/2014Sep/0010.html
>> http://w3c.github.io/test-results/url/less-than-2.html
> I think that the explicit question is whether a document that is a W3C CG snapshot with a suitable title, stable content, which has been through an FSA pass, is good enough for this spec. for the purposes of the HTML5 spec.
>
> how can we find out?

David - my understanding of Jeff's statement in
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-w3process/2014Sep/0048.html>, is
that the HTMLWG should ask the Director.

Tim - FYI, the head of this thread is
<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2014Sep/0061.html>.

-AB