Re: proposal: have W3C HTML5 reference dated WHATWG URL standard rather than W3C copy

On 09/26/2014 08:28 AM, Brian Kardell wrote:
> [Snip]
> Personally I would prefer if WHATWG and W3C can publish exactly same
> document on bothwhatwg.org <http://whatwg.org>andw3c.org
> <http://w3c.org>. I mean exactly same (maybe except visual style) so no
> additional editorial effort on W3C side will be needed. Personally I
> don't feel that WHATWG is currently enough stable and open body
> (seehttps://whatwg.org/charter) to provide long term archival place for
> specifications.
> [/snip]
>
> Hosting an exact copy of a snapshot for reference and archival purposes
> at w3c doesn't appear to bother anyone as far as I can tell, the concern
> is with unnecessary forking.  Seems sensible, does that make you feel
> better about it?

For that to work, at a minimum the W3C would need to publish such a
snapshot.  The last time that was done was over two years ago.  A few
links capturing the current state:

http://www.w3.org/2014/06/webapps-charter.html#url
http://www.w3.org/TR/url/
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2014JulSep/0492.html