Re: proposal: have W3C HTML5 reference dated WHATWG URL standard rather than W3C copy

From: Brian Kardell <bkardell@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 08:28:46 -0400
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Cc: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl>, Jirka Kosek <jirka@kosek.cz>, David Baron <dbaron@mozilla.com>, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, Tantek Çelik <tantek@cs.stanford.edu>, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
[Snip]
Personally I would prefer if WHATWG and W3C can publish exactly same
document on bothwhatwg.organdw3c.org. I mean exactly same (maybe except
visual style) so no additional editorial effort on W3C side will be needed.
Personally I don't feel that WHATWG is currently enough stable and open
body (seehttps://whatwg.org/charter) to provide long term archival place
for specifications.
[/snip]

Hosting an exact copy of a snapshot for reference and archival purposes at
w3c doesn't appear to bother anyone as far as I can tell, the concern is
with unnecessary forking.  Seems sensible, does that make you feel better
about it?