Re: proposed change: links inside label elements

On Jan 13, 2014, at 10:14 AM, Steve Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com> wrote:

> hi James, see my earlier response:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2014Jan/0063.html

Quoting the earlier response:
>>> for the non link text the control can still be activated, so maybe only
>>> needs to restrict case where label text is wholly contained with a link:
>>>
>>> <label>
>>>   <input type="checkbox" />
>>> </label></a>

I don’t think this is necessary either. Mouse and touch users should still be able to activate the check box by clicking on on the rendered control. Keyboard and assistive technology users should still be able to activate the checkbox by selecting it when it has focus.

I think in most cases it would probably be a usability issue to include a link that surrounds the entire contents of a label (add a warning, perhaps), but not a validity error.