RE: using strong to indicate a title?

From: Leif Halvard Silli <xn--mlform-iua@xn--mlform-iua.no>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 17:48:03 +0200
To: tink@tink.co.uk
Cc: 'Ian Devlin' <ian@iandevlin.com>, 'Denis Boudreau' <dboudreau@accessibiliteweb.com>, 'Wilfred Nas' <wilfrednas@gmail.com>, 'Steve Faulkner' <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, 'HTMLWG WG' <public-html@w3.org>
Léonie Watson, Tue, 7 May 2013 16:08:14 +0100:
> Ian Devlin wrote:
>
>> “I don't like the use of <small> as its current definition is to represent
>> "side comments" which a subtitle would not be (it's more important than
>> that). I know that we can of course change the meaning of the element in
the
>> specification, but as Mallory says for <strong>, this would mean changing
>> the meaning of this element again.”
>
> I agree that re-purposing existing elements is often fraught. I still wonder
> whether a purpose built element might be the answer?

While <small> should not be changed to mean "subtitle", I believe that
it can occur inside <hx>heading</hx> element. Already, the spec says

]] In this last example, the small element is marked as being
   important small print.

could, but it does not to have dedicated subtitle meaning. The <br>
could be used to to place the <small>subtitle</small> on its own line:

Of course, this only fits the use case where the subtitle should go
into the outline, as part of rest of the heading.
--
leif h silli