Re: using strong to indicate a title?

The purpose of <small> is not to demote, the specification doesn't say that
at all:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2011/WD-html5-20110525/text-level-semantics.html#the-small-element

It even goes as far as saying that it does not demote the importance of
that if you wish to mark the contents of a <small> as important it should
be wrapoed in <strong>. This implies that <small> itself has no effect on
the importance of its content.