RE: using strong to indicate a title?

From: Léonie Watson <tink@tink.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2013 16:08:14 +0100
To: "'Ian Devlin'" <ian@iandevlin.com>, "'Denis Boudreau'" <dboudreau@accessibiliteweb.com>
Cc: "'Wilfred Nas'" <wilfrednas@gmail.com>, "'Steve Faulkner'" <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>, "'HTMLWG WG'" <public-html@w3.org>
Ian Devlin wrote:

“I don't like the use of <small> as its current definition is to represent
"side comments" which a subtitle would not be (it's more important than
that). I know that we can of course change the meaning of the element in the
specification, but as Mallory says for <strong>, this would mean changing
the meaning of this element again.”

I agree that re-purposing existing elements is often fraught. I still wonder
whether a purpose built element might be the answer?

One possibility might be the subline element. A *very early draft of how
such an element might look can be found here:

http://www.html5accessibility.com/HTML5extensions/subline.html

Thoughts?

Léonie.