Re: using strong to indicate a title?

I wouldn't mind both, but if a <subtitle> is made, still also need
to keep the idea currently sitting in
<header>
<hx>Main heading</hx>
</header>

Subtitles are indeed pretty common; they could have their own tag.
The use cases are separate and I believe hgroup combined them,
inappropriately.

A <subtitle> or whatever would not need a wrapping <header> either.

-Mallory