Re: using strong to indicate a title?

The issues with the document outline didn't really bother me, it was
everyone doing this:

<h1>Meijer</h1>
<h2>Why Pay More?</h2>

Sub*titles* were the only things that felt even somewhat justified as
marking up in any kind of a heading tag, but none of the other things
did: taglines, mottos, slogans, and the such.

<h1>Moby Dick</h1>
<h2>Or, the Whale</h2>
is almost okay with me. Almost.

<h1>Kentucky Fried Chicken</h1>
<h2>Finger-lickin' Good</h2>
Never ok.

I cringed at those. Calling up a list of headings on a page with
hgroup showed strange things.

Better Bruce's example
<h1>Kentucky Fried Chicken</h1>

But this gives no special association with the heading, which it
seems authors wanted (this is why they liked using a second heading
in hgroup for them).

I also didn't really like the idea of the first h2 just being a
continuation of a title, while all the other h2's were actually
heading a group of related content. hgroup gave us a tag but didn't
programmatically give the special meaning to *that* h2 to separate
it well from all the other h2's.  We expect headings to... head stuff.
Head content. Here, the second hx tag is "special" as far as context
is concerned, but hgroup forced it to mean the same as every other
same-level hx.

I can see a possibility of giving associated-by-being-header-siblings
meaning to other, non-header tags (who generally don't belong in
any heading/hx tag), though I have no idea how. Dunno how y'all build
browsers.

hgroup could have done the same thing, however it did not allow
non-hx children inside it, forcing content in hx tags who should
not have been in them at all.

-Mallory