Re: HTML 5.1 Use Cases

On 08/12/2012 12:34 , Adam Sobieski wrote:
> Digital
> publishing, digital books and digital textbooks could be use cases for
> HTML 5.1.

I agree with this sentiment, but "digital textbooks" is more of a usage
area than a use case. From the point of view of producing new solutions,
it would be more useful to hear stories of the kind "I need to do this
in my ebook because foo, but it doesn't work because bar." Such input is
extremely valuable.

> Scholarly and scientific communication could be another use case.
> Scholarly and scientific documents, mathematical documents, documents
> previously in PDF formats authored in LaTeX or AMS LaTeX, can be
> considered as use cases, also in the category of digital publishing,
> during the HTML 5.1 process. New features to discuss, for example, could
> then include an XML-based citing and referencing system, one or more CSS
> modules, and any other popular LaTeX and AMS LaTeX features.

I for one would be very happy to see the current madness that is
scientific publishing come to an end so that I would never again have to
read a two column PDF paper on a 6" e-ink screen. But similarly,
"XML-based citing and referencing system" is a solution whereas we need
to see a problem. Also, is there anything in that that needs to happen
in the client? Or anything that prevents it from working well in typical
authoring environments?