Re: Timed tracks

On Fri, 07 May 2010 23:59:15 +0800, Sean Hayes <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Philip Jägenstedt>> "From what I have read of the TTML spec, I do not
> want to support it in Opera, mainly because it fails to make use of CSS
> for styling".
>
> I keep hearing that this is a big problem and I'm not understanding it,
> TTML does "make use of CSS for styling", it just happens to also make
> use of parts of XSL:FO and SMIL.
>
> Could you elaborate on exactly what it is you are looking for from CSS?
> And more particularly what version of CSS. TTML could use CSS selectors
> to apply its style properties, but that can't be it; because CSS
> selectors won't work on a text format like SRT, which you seem to think
> is a good direction.
>
>  If it's the generalised box model to support vertical text you are
> objecting to in TTML, then can we take it Opera will not be implementing
> CSS3 when it's done, as it is busily migrating those XSL modifications
> to CSS that TTML styling relies on. What advantage would you see in
> moving TTML back to a non-internationalised text model? Especially when
> an example of vertical text is included as a use case in
> http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Use_cases_for_timed_tracks_rendered_over_video_by_the_UA

As Tab said, the point is to use only CSS, using the CSS syntax (not a
subset of CSS mapped from some other syntax).

As for actual features, I'd want to be able to use at least webfonts,
text-shadow, text-outline, transitions, and translations, as well as any
other new innovations made in CSS, without having to change anything about
the caption format (which a mapping would require).

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer