RE: Timed tracks

>>What is meant by that statement is "it fails to make use of *only* CSS for styling".  Making use of CSS, plus XSL:FO and SMIL, still >>means adding more code to the layout engine to handle the XSL:FO and SMIL parts.
Yes, but its code you will need to be adding for CSS3 . CSS2 doesn’t handle the identified use cases.

>> but is XSL's "generalized box model" identical to how CSS specifies handling vertical text?  If not, then it's a problem
I guess that’s up to the CSS WG, when they finish it. I agree if they are different we will have a problem; but the XSL WG seems to be involved in its definition, so I would hope not. CSS2 of course does not handle vertical text, opacity, text outline, wrap option and writing mode; that was the whole point.