Re: Bug 7034

On 03/24/2010 06:40 AM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2010, at 3:37 AM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:33:31 +0100, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I think I understand the value of avoiding quirks mode and almost
>>> standards mode, enough to explain it. I'm not sure I understand fully
>>> why presentational markup is to be avoided. Can you provide some
>>> reasons or point to a good reference?
>>>
>>> I ask because I'm planning to make a wiki page that collects
>>> rationales for authoring conformance requirements.
>>
>> Ian posted about this a while back:
>>
>> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2009Oct/0961.html
>
> Awesome, thanks for the reference!

Agreed.  My problem is consistency.  I see some of the same people who
have stated that longdesc has been tried and failed for over 10 years
advocating that such markup be considered non-conforming, and I see
evidence that a substantial number of sites are willfully violating
admonitions against presentational markup... again over 10 years later.

One of the things that attracted me to HTML5 was that it purported to
document the web as it exists as opposed to other efforts at the W3C
which intended to change the web to their vision as to how it should be.

> - Maciej

- Sam Ruby