Re: sections removed, current and ongoing

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Shelley Powers <shelley.just@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'd
>>> just like some discussion before any of them get accepted with nothing
>>> more than the OP's assertions being heard.  If we had had a normal
>>> discussion and Hixie still said "Eh, I'm cutting <details>.", I would
>>> have been fine with it.  I'd still disagree with the decision, but I'd
>>> at least know that it had been properly considered, which I do not
>>> feel is happening right now.
>>>
>>> I just don't like the mailing list being completely bypassed by the
>>> tracking database.  Discussion should happen here, not in the bug
>>> tracker.
>>>

>> We're told not to clutter up the email lists with these discussions,
>> to take items that are unlikely to reach lazy consensus through the
>> formal change proposal.
>
> My impression was that resorting to bugs was a second step if
> discussions on email list were not fruitful.
>
> The email list, as I understand it, is still our main form of
> communication, and still where most technical discussions are taking
> place.
>
> Otherwise, is there a reason we wouldn't cc the public-html list by
> default on all bugs? (There are ways to accomplish essentially this in
> bugzilla).

I just looked into tweaking the email preferences of my bugzilla
account such that I would receive emails for all bugs, in order to
solve the problem described above for me personally until a solution
has been found for the whole group.

Unfortunately it seems like the installed bugzilla version is too old
to make this possible.

So the current situation is that if I want to receive emails for all
technical discussions that happen in this group, including the ones
that happen in bugzilla, I have to on a regular basis run a bugzilla
query and manually cc myself on all newly filed bugs.

This does not seem optimal.

Also note that it seems like cc'ing public-html in bugzilla does not
result in email being sent to the list. Don't know why that is.

I suggest that we either make it possible to subscribe to the
public-html-bugzilla email list (which receives emails for all bug
comments), or that we change the default QA contact in bugzilla to be
public-html, and ensure that the emails are successfully delivered to
the group.

/ Jonas