Re: Should <video> buffer control be tri-state?

Henri wrote:
> As for making autobuffer tri-state, I think changing it at this
> point is too late, because it has already been implemented as a
> boolean attribute in a browser that has significant market share (http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/12/22/firefox-35-surpasses-ie7-market-share
> ).

I can see why a tri-state attribute would be a more "bulletproof"
attribute, but I tend to agree with Henri.

> At this point, I think the available options (if there's agreement
> that authors should be able to instruct browsers not to buffer) are
> minting another boolean attribute 'nobuffer' or a tri-state
> attribute 'buffering' (with precedence rules relative to autobuffer).

At this stage, a quick fix would be to update the spec to clarify that
the lack of an @autobuffer attribute indicates (author intent) that
the media resource SHOULD not be pre-buffered.

It's not a perfect solution, but I reckon it would be good enough.

--
Jeremy Keith

a d a c t i o

http://adactio.com/