Re: Should <video> buffer control be tri-state?

On 2010-01-03 2:31 AM, Chris Double wrote:
> The use of 'autobuffer="something"' is a result of generating the
> page via an XML template. You don't have boolean attributes in XML -
> you must set them to something. I do the same thing on my blogger
> based weblog for the same reason.

The way you set a boolean attribute to "something" is to set its name
such that it matches its value (i.e., |autobuffer="autobuffer"|).

It's been this way since SGML and it's still this way in HTML and XML.
You just can't use the minimized form, where you omit the attribute
name, in XML. Or rather, omit the attribute value, since HTML5 seems to
have reversed the SGML definition by allowing the attribute to take the
form |autobuffer=""|. The spec goes so far as to say:

"The values 'true' and 'false' are not allowed on boolean attributes. To
represent a false value, the attribute has to be omitted altogether."