Re: Should <video> buffer control be tri-state?

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 4:44 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 11:22 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas@sicking.cc> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 4:05 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com> wrote:

>>> I expect "auto" and be "minimal" to be equivalent, but I would have to agree
>>> that "auto" as a default is more intuitive. If all browsers treat auto as
>>> minimal then it's a redundant state, but oh well...
>>
>> This still gets back to the question: Do we expect browsers do
>> anything other than minimal amount of network traffic for markup like:
>>
>> <video src="video.ogg">
>>
>> And if expect them to just do minimal amount of downloading for that,
>> why do we need another state meaning "I know you'd just download the
>> minimum if I didn't say anything, but I still want to tell you to just
>> download the minimum"?
>
> The introduction of an explicit attribute to specify "minimal"
> buffering means that when the attribute is not in use, the browsers
> can do whatever they like, which is effectively what is happening
> today (stepping back from calling it a "bug"). Thus, if an author
> really wants just the minimum, they can now explicitly say
> buffer="minimal".

Like I said, the distinction only matters if browsers actually do do
something other than minimal download when given no hint.

However Maciejs reply seems to indicate that webkit will, in which
case I agree that it makes sense to make a distinction.

/ Jonas